If you ever watched the Hooked on Fishing series with Paul Young many years ago- or maybe you were watching the umpteenth rerun on Discovery Shed, you may recall an episode called Glendevon Trout, where Paul fishes Frandy in the morning, and Glensherup in the afternoon. I have my suspicions that this was not all filmed in one day-I suspect some judicious work was done on the VT editors desk to create such a story, I feel it was done over a couple of days. I have no inside knowledge, its just what I think. Well the same order of events had befell me. I fished Frandy a couple of weeks back and today finally sought out and fished Glensherup. I was not 100% sure where it was as the info on the Glensherup website and on Google maps, sort of suggested it was up the same road as Frandy. There is a reservoir behind Frandy ( Lower Glendevon Reservoir) called Upper Glendevon Reservoir, but on Google its shows as Glensherup fisheries. In fact Glensherup is down the glen a little up a separate track hidden in the hills.
It was quiet when I arrived with only a couple of regulars tackling up and the fishery manager, who was getting the Bacon Rolls on. I had to have one ;-).

Word was that the fish were being taken mostly on lures- hothead Damsels being favourite. The weather was quite windy but bright, if a bit cold when I arrived and I fancied using the Sink tip to get the flies down a little. I set up with a Bushy fly on top dropper- a Claret Bumble, and a Hot head Damsel on point to see if I could find any fish.

I started by the dam wall and tying the boat to a mooring station was soon fishing. The wind was tricky as it curled round the damhead.

I stopped to add on a further 4 foot of tippet and a third fly, the conditions were OK for three and changed to a Cats whiskers on point, with a diawl and cruncher on droppers. First cast on this set up and I hooked into a powerful fish at range in I would say 4-6 feet depth of the gin clear water. It was one of the recently stocked blue trout and it leapt and jumped a number of times before heading down a long way. I kept the rod tip up and the fish seemed well hooked when suddenly the line went slack and it was gone. All flies intact I started over. Not getting any more reaction, I moved over nearer the corner, of the dam wall, maneuvering was tricky with just oars and no engine. Pretty soon I had a take and Rainbow number one in the bag. I took this fish and spooned it and it was full of Daphnia, water fleas. Tons of them.

After a little more time I allowed the boat to drift on the drogue and changed to a more imitative cast of a hares ear on point, a micro nymph on dropper and a Diawl Bach on top dropper. First cast I had two sharp tugs but neither stuck. I dunno how such small flies could be knocked without hooking up. Maybe this would be the method?. I stuck with straightline nymphing for a wee while and had a few pattern changes along the way but got nothing more.

I fished near the burn mouth in the middle and though the odd fish topped I never had much in the way of solid offers- the odd nip here and there. I then drifted further down the loch where the other boats seemed to be stationed- they looked to be catching. Anchoring opposite a small bay I decided to swap to an intermediate line and try keep the flies deeper, longer as the activity  I had had was all at depth. I swapped point to a Black Humungous and first cast again I was nipped by a fish. It did not take too long before one stuck and number 2 was bagged. At this point I noticed the anchor rope had snagged on my fish bag and in going to sort it out the bag opened losing fish number one to the depths!  Duh!

Well bent into a fish

A Glensherup Rainbow puts a fair bend in the rod as it comes to the net.

I was getting knock after knock by this time – cast, count to 20 and retreive slowly, with a few tweaks and the fish were coming. While I was getting reaction to the Humungous regularly I swapped the point for a small version of a Yellow Dancer. Much smaller than usual but with a very full tail. First cast again and a fish was on, number three was mental- it nearly took me to the backing twice- I reckon I only had 6 feet of fly line left on each run. It was not a huge fish either but I could not stop it. It eventually succumbed and was bagged. I debarbed everything and changed my dropperd to a red Diawl and a Chartreuse and red ribbed Cruncher I just tied last night. About three or 4 more casts and a few more knocks and I was into number 4 on the Dancer again.

I fished on and was getting loads of hits, it was great fun, and after a while number 5 came to the cruncher which was pleasing.

The weather had sort of warmed up by now and the wind was very changeable, but the odd fish was taking off the top so I took the time to swap over to a floater and try a dry. I tried a Deer Hair and CDC sedge but got no takers then popped on a daddy longlegs. I had an offer but missed it in the tricky sunlight and the fly was slimed up, so brought it in to dry it and refresh it. A few more casts and I was struggling to see it again so decided to swap it over. As I retreived the line in I was just taking the line to hand to pull the fly over when  fish took the by now drowned Daddy! I had to handline it to get it in and it was a good 3lb fish but I was able to net and release it OK. A bit of a fluked dry fly fish.

After this, I decided it was prudent to start the long row back to the boat mooring ( which nearly killed me- heavy oars and a fair distance into the wind!)

A fabulous day out and a real “find” of a place, very natural and full of fish. I will hope to return again ( though would be easier with an engine!)